Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to have a sticker to put my boat on Lake Sara?

All motorized and non motorized boats are required to have a sticker through the Effingham Water Authority. Information on prices and locations to buy can be found here

Am i allowed to have a tent or a camper on my leased lot?

Lake residents may have a camper parked on the leased lot but no one is allowed to spend the night in it. It may only be parked for storage. Residents can have an open sided tent with a "Tent Permit"

Where can I get chlorine tablets for my septic system?

Did you know that the Effingham Water Authority provides all Lease Residents with free chlorine tablets to encourage clean water on the lake? Lake residents can stop by the shop and pick up chlorine tablets for free. Please bring a safe container and we will give you six tablets every six months.

When can I burn my leaves?

Residents are allowed to burn leaves from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Monday through Saturday. No burning is allowed on Sundays. 

All fires must be continuosly watched and must be completly out after 5:00 p.m.



Will the Effingham Water Authority be picking up my leaves this year?

The Effingham Water Authority along with the help of the Clean Air Initiative recently purchased a leaf vaccum to pick up leaves for all leased lots. Workers will begin picking up leaves at the end of October. We ask that you place only leaves on the very edge of the road so that the new process will run quickly. The workers will not pick up big sticks or other yard refuge. Please stay tuned to the announcement section on the homepage for further information about the schedule for the leaf vac. 

What rules do I have to follow when building something on my leased property?

All structures on leased lots require a building permit. Please review our "Regulations for Construction" before planning a project and contact the Lake Superintendent to get a building permit.